Saturday, August 8, 2015

Frugal Win/Fail

Win:

1) I used Ebates to get 16% cash back and 5% off on flowers for my in-laws' anniversary.

2) I picked up 8 hours of work, and worked outside business hours and had Grandma babysit so I would not need to pay child care.

3) My sister and I took the kids to Kings Island (summer bucket list item), and used a coupon to get $35 off each adult ticket.

4) I read the latest edition of OK, National Geographic, and Wired through the Ohio Digital Library. We borrowed three more Magic Treehouse Books and the Dragonbreath book for my son through the same app.

5) Got a Loop N Loom for my 4 year old's Christmas present at 60% off on Amazon and a Tots Jr Art Start for our toddler for 30% off. I got a $5 Prime Pantry credit for choosing no rush shipping. (I am soooo close to being done with Christmas gifts.)

6) Our neighborhood has a community pool that includes a kiddie pool, and we spent Sunday afternoon there for fun.

7) Grandma and Grandpa treated us to dinner several times, and my SIL and her boyfriend made us a yummy meal.

8) My husband and son camped out in the backyard in a tent we borrowed from a cousin. We had a campfire and made s'mores with ingredients from Aldi. As it turns out, they have tree nut-free chocolate, and graham crackers and marshmallows without dye (most brands contain blue dye).

9) We took the kids to a park for free.

10) At King's Island, we planned on eating pizza there, but after seeing they charged $14.29 for a single slice, single bread stick, and a drink, per person, we said forget it. Instead, we waited until we got back to Grandma's, ordered a large pizza, a salad, and 2 bowls of soup, for $20 after coupon. We would have spent over $50 for much less food if we ate there. Crazy!

11) We went to the Cleveland Zoo and got 50% off admission with our Cincinnati Zoo pass.

12) My MIL found a huge box of used random Legos for our son at a garage sale. We also played with my husband's old board games from the early 70s.

Fail:

1) We ate at restaurants on the way to and from our travel destination this week. We probably could have brought something, but we wanted the kids to run around and burn off energy. It was $80 overall.

2) The $9 necklace I bought for my daughter at King's Island was broken by that night. Grr!

Win/Fail?:

1) We budgeted for this, but my sister and I took my two older children to King's Island for the day, using those discounted tickets. We played games ($) and ate ice cream, and bought one souvenir per child there ($). My mother babysat the baby for free.




No comments: