Saturday, August 29, 2015

Frugal Win/Fail

Win:

1) I picked up 2 shifts to work this week. My mom babysat one day, and I worked very, very early in the morning before my husband left for work for 2 half days to avoid needing a sitter. Getting up before 4 am was very painful though.

2) I read 3 magazines on the Ohio Digital Library, and borrowed two more Magic Tree House books and a Dragonbreath book for my son.

3) I sold some of my son's 4T clothes to a friend's neighbor for $28. We had a play date at my friends while we went through the clothes. My friend Diane is graciously helping me sell the 4T clothes her neighbor didn't want at her Twin Club sale coming soon.

4) I stuck pretty close to my $60 grocery budget this week.

5) We decided to take a break from gymnastics class for our 4 year old for the time being, which will save us $55 per month.

6) I ate out Saturday afternoon using a gift card.

7) My husband took our 7 year old to his work's company picnic. It offered a free meal, play area, bounce house, and miniature golf.

8) We had to provide snacks for Robotics team this week, and we sent grapes that my mother brought to us and a box of cereal bars we had already.

9) I watched shows on Hulu and Netflix for entertainment while I walked on our treadmill desk, as well as through the PBS app on our Roku.

10) My mother brought 2 loaves of bread and a cantaloupe with her when she babysat.

11) I interviewed a mom in the neighborhood about babysitting my kids while I work a few days a month. It is 2 streets over, so we walked there and back and spent a while over there seeing if it's a match. I ended up hiring her, which means I won't have to worry about extra taxes for an in-home employee.

12) I baked a loaf of bread, and a couple dozen cookies.

13) I only drove Sunday (for our play date), Wednesday (a meeting at school), Thursday (dance class), and Saturday (shopping and out with some friends).

Fail:

1) I threw out a couple bad bananas, and some greens that were dying at the bottom of the crisper.

2) I spent all Friday doing grad school homework, and we ended up spending $30 on pizza.

Win/Fail:

1) After dance on Thursday, there were a half dozen hot air balloons flying over our town, so my daughter and I got ice cream and sat in the van watching them.


No comments: