Sunday, March 8, 2015

Menu Plan Week of 3/8/15


This week's grocery spending:
$36 at Sam's Club for 25 lb of bread flour, 2 gallons vinegar, 1.25 gallons canola oil, 1 lb of cocoa and 1 lb of black pepper. If you avoid the processed foods, and stick to bulk basics, cheese, and sometimes fruit, the membership is worth it. I took note of bulk prices of sugar, all-purpose flour, and rice, and was disappointed to see no bulk dried beans. I did note that I could bulk buy dried beans online for slightly less per pound than Walton Feed, and they already come in food grade storage buckets with gamma lids, so I might be doing that. We are waiting to buy more bulk flour until we are sure baby girl does not have a wheat allergy.

Kroger: $78

Total: about $115

This week's frugal accomplishments:
1) Going to Goodwill to replace the broken plates/cups for the kids. We set ourselves up as Montessori style and serve the kids using glass drinking glasses and dishes. Our 4 year old has broken one plate and three glasses (also bought at Goodwill) in the past nine months, and we are down to one glass and a couple of mugs for the kids. We see it as a learning experience, and it helps us to stay as plastic-free as possible. I spent $3 on 2 glasses and 2 plates, and $0.75 of that was an extra donation to Goodwill.

2) Buying flour at Sam's brought my price per loaf down pretty low for my home breadmaking- $0.20/loaf.

3) Used over 600 fuel points at Kroger to get $0.60/off per gallon at Kroger Fuel Center, for a price of $1.69/gallon.

4) Used Evites to send free birthday invites for my son. We are keeping it small by inviting family and 4 friends for a low-key party at our house. I will bake my own cake this time.

5) Weaned our 14-month old off soy milk onto water, as we suspect she has both a milk and soy allergy. (Prompted by our pediatrician). This will save us $7.50/week for soy or other non-dairy milks.

6) That massive amount of slow cooker refried beans. It cost about $2 and resulted in 5 meals for 5 people, plus a quart-sized baggie that we froze for future use.

7) As an Amazon prime member, I was able to download two new books in their Kindle First collection for free yesterday.


Sunday: Soooo many refried beans left still: We are piling this on top of nachos, with lots of lettuce, tomato, green onions, cilantro, black olives, and a wee bit  of cheddar cheese. I swear my kids eat a whole bowl (after complaining the first 1-2 times we had this).

Monday: Yep, still eating those Refried beans with lots of veggies (did I mention a 2 lb bag of pintos makes at least 5 pints).

Tuesday: Beans and Fixins' Again!

Wednesday: Ratatouille and Italian Sausages, Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Thursday: Refried Beans in tortillas with veggies and Spanish Rice, Salads

Friday: Deviled Eggs, Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes

Saturday: Homemade Pizza with Cheese, Corn, Making Cake or Cookies for my birthday

Also making: French Bread (I picked up a 25 lb bag of bread flour from  Sam's Club for $8.53, which will drop my price per loaf to about $0.20 per loaf!)

No comments: