Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Kale Chips: Do They Taste As Revolting As They Sound?

Above: a recent dinner of 7 Grain Pancakes, Turkey Sausage, Peaches, and Kale Chips

Make no mistake, of all the green leafies, kale has been my least favorite. My mother used to serve us wet, sloppy canned spinach that tasted like dirt. It was not until a couple years ago that I was brave enough to try the fresh versions of spinach and other greens.

Kale, however, always looked too much like the weeds I pull from our flower beds. How could I possibly eat that?

I've had a good half dozen people tell me they've tried fresh Kale Chips and swear they don't taste like crispy green dirt. In fact, they said, they were a little salty and just about as enjoyable as potato chips. Ha!

This is my attempt to call that bluff. I used a Food Network recipe. It was simple. Kale, olive oil, and salt. I used Olive Oil PAM. The first attempt, I made the mistake of not getting the greens dry enough. I ended up having to cook them too long in order to get them crisp, and the outer leaves burned. My kitchen reeked for days.

This time, I whipped out the salad spinner that someone gave us for our wedding eons ago, and that has sat in our cabinets gathering dust. The result: perfectly crisp and unburned leaves.

How do they taste? Not bitter, not dirt-like. They have a nice salty earthy taste. They have appeared on my menu again, even.

You will so like crisp kale with PAM, you will so like them Sam-I-Am.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ha ha! Jason says they taste like salty, crispy air. I still taste the leafy greenness, but I like them. I should make them at least once a week since my picky husband will eat them!

Searching said...

I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting my hubby to try that, but I am intrigued. Perhaps when I have someone over we can try it. The warning about making sure the leaves are good & dry is appreciate! Burnt kale- makes me gag just thinking about it!!!