Saturday, August 13, 2011

Homemade Granola

Just like the homemade yogurt, I swear the homemade granola is super easy.

Store-bought granola has a few pitfalls: it doesn't taste quite the same as fresh; it's pretty expensive, especially when my husband can devour an entire box in one sitting ($4.50 a box with about 4 cupful servings); and there can be hidden dairy, like most processed foods. Not a good thing when your child has a serious allergy!

I started with this recipe at Lynn's Recipe Adventures. I wanted something that didn't have too many ingredients, not too much dried fruit (adds more calories, expense, and we're just not fans), and a cinnamon flavor. her recipe is nut-free, but we have no nut allergies, so I added whole almonds, crushed walnuts, and some sunflower seeds. I added a dash of nutmeg to the spices, and I also used canola for my oil. I'm not a huge coconut fan, so no shredded coconut either.

I baked mine for 12 minutes, and didn't let it sit in the oven. I put it immediately into a canister for storage, and it still was plenty crunchy.

I've made this three times now, and we all love it. I eat mine every morning at work with only a sliced nectarine- no milk or yogurt. We get 7 full servings out of this that last all week. I'd say the cost of 7 servings is $3.50 using organic rolled oats and $2.50 using store brand rolled oats.

It only takes me 5 minutes to prep the liquids on the stove and 12 minutes to bake. Totally worth the effort!

3 comments:

robin said...

I've been wanting to try homemade granola for a while now. I'm encouraged to try it out this week! Yours looks great.

robin said...

I've decided to feature you on my meatfree Monday post this week. Be sure to stop by and pick up a button!

MrsSpock said...

Thank you!