Thursday, July 28, 2011

Homemade Yogurt

A crock , covered with a beach towel, waiting for the yogurt to sufficiently "yog"

In my quest to move to a more organic, whole foods diet, I have been experimenting with making my own soy and dairy yogurt at home in the slow cooker. So far it has been a success for the most part.

It really is a LOT easier than it looks. A 32 oz organic yogurt is easily $3-5, depending on brand and if it is soy (for my dairy-allergic child.) I can buy a half gallon (64 oz) of organic soy or dairy milk for $2.50-$3. It will make a half gallon of yogurt. For the first batch, you will need to buy a small 6 oz yogurt with active cultures to prime the mixture, but afterwards can hold back a cup of your own yogurt to make the next batch.


Homemade yogurt has more water that settles to the top than store-bought. I made "greek-style" yogurt by lining a sieve with coffee filters and putting it in the fridge for 6-8 hours. It then has the consistency of sour cream.

When I made soy yogurt, I used a quarter cup of tapioca flour to help thicken it. The dairy did not require this step. The soy took 18 hours to "yog" and the dairy only about 12.

Word to the wise- I used a stainless steel colander the first time I made it Greek-style and let it sit longer overnight. My first batch then ended up with a metallic taste to it and I had to chuck it down the sink! Next time I used plastic.


A week's worth of soy yogurt, ready to go!

My own plain, unsweetened yogurt, with a few berries- the way my 3 year old likes it.

2 comments:

Sherry said...

Wow! I had never even thought of making yogurt!! Genius!! Love your blog - such great recipes!! :)

http://sweetandsassy-sherry.blogspot.com/

MrsSpock said...

Thank you Sherry!