Friday, April 22, 2011

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes


I must admit, I was never a fan of sweet potatoes. I prefer savory flavors to sweet, and the only sweet potatoes I'd ever tried as a kid were loaded in sweet syrup and covered with marshmallows. Blargh!

My friend Val makes these simple cottage fries in the oven that I really like, and it made me wonder if there are other ways to cook them that weren't too sweet or coated in sugar.

I ran across this recipe for Twice-Baked Sweet Potatoes With Feta and Sumac on Kalyn's Kitchen a few weeks ago. I love feta, so it piqued my interest. I had to remember to throw the potatoes in the oven as soon as I got home, but once baked the first time, it doesn't take that long for the second bake.

Verdict: These are really good! I didn't have any sumac, so I used paprika instead. I think I found a new way to make good sweet potatoes! I had to make some without feta for my son, as feta is most certainly not dairy-free.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

That sounds delicious. We love twice baked potatoes. I don't know why I never thought of doing it with sweet potatoes.