Sunday, January 2, 2011

Roasted Veggie Sandwiches on Foccacia, Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Homemade Hummus and Whole Wheat Pita


Homemade foccacia in the bread machine. This smelled wonderful, and I can't tell you how easy it was. The most work I did was spreading it on the pizza stone, and sprinkling olive oil, rosemary, and garlic powder on it. It fluffed up enough to split it in half for a sandwich. Everyone loved it!


For the veggie filling, I used a hybrid of this recipe and this recipe. I was too lazy to wash another cookie sheet, so I just sauteed the baby bella mushrooms and red onion with olive oil.



I roasted some yellow and red bell peppers, eggplant, and tomato in the oven, brushed with olive oil.

I made the garlic mayo from the second recipe, and it tasted fantastic. Served with cheesy boxed potatoes I got for free.


I never made a pineapple upside down cake before, but it's my dad's favorite. I was skeptical about it sliding out of the pan intact, but it did! I'm not really a dessert person, so I didn;t eat any, but my father and sister were very happy with the results.


Homemade pita bread seemed a bit daunting, but it was surprisingly easy. Once again, I used the dough setting on my bread machine to make the dough. I used half whole wheat flour, baked them on cookie sheets, and covered with a damp towel to soften them. They puffed up a bit, but not enough to open and make a sandwich. Since we planned on cutting into wedges and dipping into hummus, it didn't matter. Yes, the homemade hummus drizzled in olive oil was a 3 minute task in the food processor, and tasted way better than any store brand.

No comments: