Saturday, July 10, 2010

Is It Possible To Spend $40 A Week In Groceries?

This past Friday, at The Motivation Station, I issued myself a challenge. Is it possible to stretch the $200 Visa Gift Card I recently won into 5 weeks worth of groceries? This would mean only spending $40 a week in groceries, for two adults and one toddler with a dairy allergy. Above is my Kroger trip: $34. It should have been $33, but someone forgot to bring one of the coupons that would have made the coleslaw free. Oops!! One of the Almond Milks were free from a blog giveaway (I got two free milks, and will use one next week) and the pizza was free from a Facebook deal. I did not buy a single thing not on my list. I am stockpiling those blueberries for future muffin and waffle use, and am using the instructions here to freeze two of those three pints.


This was an awesome deal at Meijer. Yes, I drove there for only one thing. I stacked a Meijer Mealbox coupon with two manufacturer coupons I printed off the internet, to make all four of these whole grains pastas a total of $0.56. Yes, the cashier was a little discombobulated when my total was barely over two quarters. We have tons of pasta, but this keeps well in storage, and I could not pass up this deal.


Target run: $0.98 for the Blueberry Juice drink. I am not counting personal care or household items as part of my challenge. Last week, my son upended a 3lb container of sugar on the floor, and I pretty much filled a vacuum container with the mess. Not very frugal at all.

I also took a trip to the Farmer's Market last night and spent $8 on homegrown produce. That brought me to $42.50 for the week. It's over my $40 limit, but not too bad! My goal next week is to keep it within the $40.


My Walgreens run. I had a $10 Register Rewards coupon that was expiring, and this giant Metamucil was on sale for $9.99, plus I had a $1 coupon, and received $2 in RR for buying it. So, technically, I made $2 for buying it. The pens and pencils were $0.19 each, and the sunscreen was on clearance for $2.97 (usually $7). Total out of pocket, about $3.


This was so, so good. Cottage Pie With Leeks. I just added sauteed leeks to the leftover mashed potatoes from making pierogies. Even my picky toddler ate it (minus the dairy-filled potato part).


A free reusable shopping bag and two free Silk Almond Milks from a blog giveaway.


Free samples of Tena, ahem, bladder leakage pads. Saving for the end of this pregnancy.


I've been getting some good deals of new GroBaby cloth diapers on babysteals. I've heard a lot of good things and want to give them a whirl. I "like" babysteals on Facebook, and get a message every day with the new deal of the day.



This is from a Totsy deal I found ($10 discount for first-time members). I essentially payed shipping plus a couple bucks for this child's gardening set. The boy LOVES having his own watering can and schleps his tool set everywhere. This keeps him occupied for hours on our deck.

3 comments:

Martha (MM) said...

Great job so far! I posted my Mission Impossible menu plans a few minutes ago - I won't be hitting the grocery store at all until Wednesday and then only have a few things on the shopping list needed to complete my menu plans. Can't wait to see your menu for this week :-)

Martha said...

Yipee for the great savings and such a great start.

Linda :) said...

Amazing savings and the turtle gardening tools is too cute.... :)