Sunday, June 21, 2009

20-minute Quesadillas



I found these tortillas at the local specialty market, about $3.50 for 8. They are loaded with fiber- 12 grams per tortilla. I guess you can say they will blow out your colon if you are used to eating processed foods. You can find cheaper tortillas, no doubt, but these are only 1 Weight Watcher point, and have tons of fiber and protein. We eat this meal 1-2 times a week, so this package last a few weeks for us.

My quesadillas only take 20 minutes. I timed it.
My commute in the evening takes about 60 minutes. By the time I pick up my son from day care, it's nearly 6:30. It takes about 30 minutes for my little Piglet to eat his evening snack, so whatever I make has to be done in that time.

Quesadillas for Two

1 whole grain tortilla per person (anyone with a recipe for a quick homemade tortilla ?)
1 medium onion, sliced thin
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil or butter
1 1-oz. slice or one small handful of cheddar cheese per person

1. Heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onions and carmelize. This took me the majority of the time- about 12-15 minutes. We like our onions nice and dark and gooey.
2. Spread shredded cheese, or tear cheese slice to cover 1/2 of a tortilla. Place 1/2 of the carmelized onion atop that, and fold over tortilla to cover.
3. Heat tortillas in skillet to melt the cheese, about 1 minute per side for each tortilla. Voila!

We usually round out this meal with veggies or salad.

4 comments:

Lavender Luz said...

Am I your first commenter? Yay!

You've made my mouth water.

Hey, you might head over to aflashinthepan.com and see if you could get a sample subscription to review here.

Kristin said...

I definitely have to add these to our repertoire. YUM

Cathy said...

For a twist to this, you could probably boil up some chicken, shred it, and then toss it in when the onions are almost done (with a little salt, pepper, or whatever spices you like) and add that to the quesedilla. You can boil the chicken a couple days ahead and use it for a couple different meals. (And it's usually tender enough for those-without-teeth to eat, so we often have boiled chicken on-hand.)

MrsSpock said...

I tried this with chicken, cooked in the slow cooker with a bit of water, then shredded, last week. It worked great!